- Sugarcoated - The EP opens with a really sassy and masterfully done song about not being in to sugarcoating and how if a guy wastes Lindsay's time, he can't really expect to have her. I heard and downloaded the demo version when it was on her site and became fully obsessed with it, and I can't really decide which one is better. They're both pretty amazing. 10/10
- It Shouldn't Be - The next track is about getting over a guy who's already definitely over you (shouldn't be here watching you get over me/like I'm nothing you've ever loved). There are some really brilliant lyrics and it's a very nice listening experience. 10/10
- Some Songs You Can't Write - This song is a really adorable song about how you can't write some songs without knowing what it's like, living it. It's really cute and transitions smoothly from the verses/bridge to the chorus. 9/10
- Things I'll Never Say to You - This song is, I think, the only song I've heard by Lindsay that doesn't have a happy ending (Lindsay tends to twist the choruses so they have a happy ending). I'm all for happy endings, but it is nice to see some variation. The song in general is done really well, and the instrumentals are beautiful. 10/10
- Just One Boy - This song, along with (Thank God) He Didn't Call, definitely has to go on the ultimate getting-over-somebody playlist. I don't need this song right now, but I'm sure there's some fan out there who is getting over someone and is playing this song on repeat. Or will be in the future, whatever. It's a brilliantly crafted song with great instrumentals. 10/10
Lindsay Bruce is definitely one of my favorite Youtube artists. Her songs are all so uplifting, and she perseveres even when things like getting eliminated from The Voice happen. Not to mention, she's super nice to people who support her, and certainly supports her friends (for example, when Alaska & Madi were eliminated from The Voice, she sent out a tweet asking who thought that they needed to release their debut CD right now?) She's recently released her long awaited EP, which is sometimes called Sugarcoated or just the Lindsay Bruce EP.
Album Rating: 10/10
About the Blog
Fountain Pen Girl Album Reviews is a blog writing track-by-track reviews of new popular and independent music with a focus on female artists. The main genres that are covered on this blog are pop, country, singer-songwriter and alternative music, focusing especially on independent artists and female country artists. Enjoy my blog!
View archives by genre, artist and other tags here.