- Hands & Hearts - The album opens with one of the many cute, happy songs. The rhymes don't feel forced at all (which can sometimes be an issue with her songwriting) and it's a very enjoyable way to begin the album. 9/10
- Forever Be (My Always) - The second track is a nice ballad, but I got tired of it after a while because the lyrics weren't spectacular or anything. 8/10
- Little White House - If you're tired of the love songs by now, you're not going to like the rest of the album. But I like the love songs, so that's not a problem for me. It's another cute track, and the lyrics are well done. 9/10
- Never Wanna Grow Up - Quite possibly one of the most fun tracks on the album, which is saying something considering almost all the songs are fun. It's very lighthearted, and the themes of the song definitely sets the tone for the album as a whole. 10/10
- Bombs Away - The vocals in this track are really highlighted by the piano, and I like how it talks about wanting to end things but in an "I still love you" way. 10/10
- Siren - Some of the rhymes seem a little forced in this track, but otherwise, it's a welcome change in theme. It's definitely a girl anthem of sorts, which is cool. It's one of my most played songs on the album. 9/10
- Beautiful Things - This song's a bit of a throwaway track — I haven't listened to it much, and the rhymes aren't that great. 7/10
- Together Forever (feat. Benj Heard) - There's a more acoustic feel on this track — it could easily fit on one of The Likes of Us's albums. (Benj Heard is the other half of The Likes of Us). There are some really great harmonies on this song. 9/10
- Your Favorite Song - This is another one of my favorite songs on the album — it's super fun to dance to. The background music really makes it more dance-y, too. 10/10
- Sugar - More cuteness. How am I going to handle it? I don't know. It's fun, just like the rest of the album, basically. There are some really nice lyrics about "you make my candy coated heart melt" too. 10/10
Katrina Stone is one-half of the Americana/singer-songwriter group The Likes of Us along with Benj Heard. She's created a lot of music on her own, too, and is frequently featured on the music-sharing site Noisetrade. I didn't really follow her solo career, but when I received a newsletter about her new project, I thought I should check it out. Generally, I've found her songwriting to be hit-or-miss, but this project is certainly a hit.
Track by track review:
About the Blog
Fountain Pen Girl Album Reviews is a blog writing track-by-track reviews of new popular and independent music with a focus on female artists. The main genres that are covered on this blog are pop, country, singer-songwriter and alternative music, focusing especially on independent artists and female country artists. Enjoy my blog!
View archives by genre, artist and other tags here.